Norwegian salmon ASC in Germany supermarket
Norway salmon and trout exported in May
Monday, June 05, 2023, 00:40 (GMT + 9)
The growth trend in the EU market has reversed for salmon
- Norway exported 82,148 tonnes of salmon to a value of NOK 9.6 billion in May.
- Export value increased by NOK 1.2 billion, or 14 per cent, compared to May last year.
- Export volume fell by 2 per cent
- Poland, the USA and Denmark were the biggest markets for salmon in May
“In the most important market for Norwegian salmon, the EU, we see that the growth trend has reversed. One example of this is fresh whole salmon to the EU. There, the export volume fell by 6 per cent in May, to 44,874 tonnes, while the price measured in euros fell by 4 per cent", says Paul T. Aandahl, Seafood Analyst with the Norwegian Seafood Council.
Asia is increasing its share of exports
The share of exports to Asia was 22 per cent in May. This is the highest proportion since the beginning of the 2000s.
“China had the greatest growth in value in May, with an increase in export value of NOK 218 million, or 83 per cent, compared to the same month last year”, says Aandahl.
Strong demand for salmon in China
The export volume to China ended at 3,297 tonnes, which is 86 per cent higher than the same month last year.
“In 2022, May was marked by a full shutdown in Shanghai and, in general, a lot of uncertainty in the market around the corona pandemic. Since the turn of the year, the re-opening in China has created a strong demand for salmon that has persisted”, says Andreas Thorud, the Norwegian Seafood Council's envoy to China.
Growth in the grocery trade
It is the hotel, restaurant and canteen segment that is the most important channel for Norwegian salmon in the Chinese market.
“At the same time, there is an increasing demand in the grocery trade for fresh salmon for home consumption. We now also see this trend outside the very largest cities”, says Thorud.
In addition to China, the export value to South Korea and Thailand is also increasing strongly.
Norwegian trout and salmon in China (yourfreshseafood) -->
Fall in value and volume for trout
- Norway exported 3,085 tonnes of trout worth NOK 361 million in May
- The export value fell by NOK 52 million, or 13 per cent, compared to May last year
- Export volume fell by 24 per cent
- The USA, Thailand and Lithuania were the biggest markets for trout in May
Poland had the largest increase in value this month, with an increase in export value of NOK 16 million, or 301 per cent, compared to the same month last year.
The export volume to Poland ended at 201 tonnes, which is 213 per cent higher than the same month last year.