Image: Norwegian Seafood Council / FIS
Market situation for the norwegian coldwater prawn, snow crab and king crab
Friday, August 05, 2022, 07:10 (GMT + 9)
Prawn exports triple in July
- 2,300 tonnes of prawns with a value of NOK 109 million were exported in July.
- This represents an increase in volume of 228 per cent.
- The export value increased by NOK 52 million, or 92 per cent, compared to July last year.
- Iceland, Sweden, and China were the biggest markets for Norwegian prawn in July.
The trend of growth in prawn exports continues. Norwegian prawn landings increased in July, and we also see that over 1,100 tonnes of prawns for the industry were exported to Iceland in July, compared to nothing in 2021. For frozen peeled prawns, we see continued growth to the UK, with an increase of 21 per cent, or 23 tonnes, to a total of 131 tonnes, while the volume to Sweden fell by 43 per cent, or 81 tonnes, to a total of 107 tonnes.
Photo: Leroy Group
Decrease in king crab export volume and value in July
- Norway exported 114 tonnes of king crab worth NOK 62 million in July.
- There is a decrease in export volume of 58 per cent.
- Export value fell by NOK 55 million, or 47 per cent, compared to July last year.
- The USA, Hong Kong SAR and South Korea were the biggest markets for Norwegian king crab in July.
For live king crab, the export volume was almost halved from July last year, with only 99 tonnes exported last month. The export volume to the USA is unchanged at 25 tonnes, while the volume to both Hong Kong SAR and South Korea has more than halved, to 25 and 18 tonnes respectively.
It has been more demanding to export live king crabs to the Asian markets. Important reasons for the decline are corona restrictions, challenging logistics and transport conditions and increased competition.
For frozen king crab, only 14 tonnes were exported in July, a decrease of over 80 per cent or 65 tonnes, from July last year.
Norwegian Cooked Clusters and Raw Single Legs. Photo: golden-seabreeze (Germany)
Snow crab exports fell sharply in July
- Norway exported 226 tonnes of snow crab to a value of NOK 32 million in July.
- There is a reduction in volume of 73 per cent.
- The value fell by NOK 168 million, or 84 per cent, compared to July last year.
- Vietnam, Denmark, and Bulgaria were the biggest markets for Norwegian snow crab in July.
Landings of snow crab were far higher in the first months of the year, which meant that the larger volumes were exported early in the year.
In July, Vietnam stood out with an increase in export volume of 148 per cent or 48 tonnes, to a total of 80 tonnes, while the export volume to the USA fell from over 100 tonnes last year to almost nothing in July this year.
Source: Norwegian Seafood Council