The Cypriot government chooses the technology of the Spanish Satlink to digitally monitor the transshipments of its vessels
Thursday, October 14, 2021, 07:10 (GMT + 9)
It is one of the most advanced projects on the market to manage fishing activity and guarantee good practices
The Department of Fisheries and Marine Research of the Ministry of Agriculture, Rural Development and Environment of the Government of Cyprus has selected the technology of the Spanish company Satlink to digitally monitor and manage the transshipment work of its fishing vessels and thus ensure their compliance, both with your national legislation as well as the European one.
The project, with an initial duration of two years, includes the design and implementation of the systems as a pilot test on two Cypriot transshipment vessels, and also includes technical support, maintenance and training of professionals for the management of these systems. The project is 90% co-financed by the European Maritime and Fisheries Fund (EMFF) 2014-2020, and the remaining 10% with national resources.
Satlink Seatube Nano
Satlink's solution complies 100% with the European regulation on fishing control material issued by the EFCA (European Fisheries Control Agency), which has led the Government of Cyprus to opt for the Spanish one, in addition to its experience as one of world leaders in the use of new technologies for on-board activity monitoring.
Cameras and sensors to know what happens at all times
Satlink will equip the vessels in this project with one of the most advanced IoT (Internet of Things) systems currently on the market to monitor and manage activity and good fishing practices. With the capacity to install up to eight cameras, the SeaTube Nano will also have numerous sensors on board, which will complete the information provided by the images of the recordings. These sensors will provide data and information on different parameters, such as light, door opening, temperature or crane load, the latter being - crane load sensors - an innovative and completely new development in which Satlink is a pioneer.
The team will transmit GPS information, sensors and periodic images to the fishing activity control center (Fisheries Monitoring Center) wirelessly and in real time through a 4G communications system. Likewise, the authorities will have the ability to download videos, should it be necessary to carry out a more in-depth analysis of a specific aspect.
Likewise, the company will be in charge of the training plan for the control center professionals in the use of the software platform developed by Satlink, and will carry out the analysis of three trips for each of the ships.
According to Pablo Torralbo, director of Satlink's EM business line, “this is a large-scale project. The monitoring system that we are going to install is, due to its capacity, complexity and the number of devices it uses, one of the most complete that currently exists worldwide in the fishing industry. It is therefore an important challenge, but one that reaffirms our position as a leading supplier for any government, regulator or company that considers adopting this type of system, essential to ensure compliance with fisheries regulations ”.
Satlink is one of the world leaders in this type of electronic observation systems, capable of continuously recording the activity of vessels to verify compliance with good fishing practices and responsible activity within the vessel. Specifically, the Spanish company has carried out more than 250 installations in the Atlantic, Indian and Pacific oceans, in collaboration with governments, NGOs and shipping companies.
His most recent projects include those developed with the governments of the Solomon Islands, Micronesia and Seychelles, countries with economies highly dependent on fishing. In the case of the Pacific Ocean, Satlink leads this market with more than 110 vessels from fleets from nine countries monitored.